The Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development Centre (IEDC) is an initiative of Kerala Startup Mission under Startup Bootcamp Scheme of Government of Kerala. Under this scheme financial assistance is given to selected colleges for supporting innovative products and thereby build an entrepreneurial eco-system inside the campus.
The mission of the IEDCs is to "develop institutional mechanism to create entrepreneurial culture in academic institutions to foster growth of innovation and entrepreneurship amongst the faculty and students ".
Objectives of the IEDCs:
- To act as an institutional mechanism for providing various services including information on all aspects of enterprise building to budding S&T entrepreneurs.
- To create Entrepreneurial culture in the Parent Institution and other institutions in the region
- To inculcate a culture of innovation driven entrepreneurship through student projects.
- To catalyse and promote development of S&T knowledge-based enterprises and promote employment opportunities in the innovative areas.
Functions of IEDCs:
- To organise Entrepreneurship Awareness Camps, Entrepreneurship Development Programmes, Faculty Development Programmes and Skill Development Programmes in the college/institution for the benefit of S&T persons.
- To initiate five innovative student projects each year for new innovative product development.
- To guide and assist prospective entrepreneurs on various aspects such as preparing project reports, obtaining project approvals, loans and facilities from agencies of support system, information on technologies, etc.
- To arrange interaction with entrepreneurs and create a mentorship scheme for student entrepreneurs.
- To facilitate creation of entrepreneur's club in each college to foster culture of entrepreneurship amongst students
- To arrange industrial visit to understand the present problems faced by the industry and propose innovative solutions.
- To act as a Regional Information Centre on business opportunities, processes, technologies, market, etc. by creating and maintaining relevant data bases.
- IEDCs would also sensitise the management of the institutions regarding the importance of entrepreneurship and integrate their activities with the Host Institutions.