The Spoken Tutorial Project is about teaching and learning a particular FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) like Linux, Scilab, LaTeX, PHP & MySQL, Java, C/C++, LibreOffice etc. via an easy Video tool - Spoken Tutorials. Some of the salient features of SELF (Spoken Tutorial based Education and Learning through Free FOSS study) are as follows.
- This distance education method is highly conducive to self-learning.
- Once one gets started any student or faculty can master the FOSS and also get certificates, Silver/Learner's and Gold/Completion (based on clearing an assessment test)
- UG, PG or Research scholar students and even teachers of Science, IT, Engineering, Commerce, Management, MCA disciplines can learn any of the FOSS.
- Typically, the first Training at any college is of 2 hours duration. Timing is per the group's convenience.
- To start of, any college which is organising the Training needs to get a computer lab ready with machines that support sound. There is no lower or upper limit on the number of participants. This just depends on the number of computers available. For additional participants, laptops if available can be used.
- Support from IIT Bombay is available over Skype, in such cases the main organiser's computer should have a webcam via which the Spoken Tutorial team can monitor the Training and answer questions.
- If the participants wish to take the test they must do so a month after the Training.
It is well known that seeing and hearing someone explain a process greatly improves understanding. So a variety of spoken tutorials will help a student to learn and use open source software.This also conduct software training workshops using spoken tutorials and give certificates to those who pass an online test.
About This Project
The Spoken Tutorial project is the initiative of the ‘Talk to a Teacher’ activity of the National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (ICT), launched by the Ministry of Human Resources and Development, Government of India. The use of spoken tutorials to popularize software development and its use will be coordinated through their website.